Skip to main content

Kindergarten Readiness

What Is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?


A child is eligible to register for kindergarten  if the child will have his or her fifth birthday on, or before September 1 (ED Code 48000[a]:

Beginning the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the cutoff date is September 1.

When can I enroll my child for transitional kindergarten?

Transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate.  Pursuant to the law (Ed Code 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2.

Beginning with the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the date will remain the same, September 2 through December 2.

If you have a child who meets the age criteria for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten, please contact your home elementary school office for registration and enrollment information.

Who is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten at Corning Union Elementary?

Young five-year old's who turn five September 2 - December 2 and/or fall into one of three categories listed below:

  1. A child who needs more support with social and emotional development.  This would be a child who has not had the opportunity/experiences to learn how to interact/socialize with his/her peers and needs more support in social and emotional development.
  2. A child who needs more support with academic preparation.  This would be a child who has not had the opportunity to go to preschool or a child who has gone to preschool, but with limited exposure or success with the preschool learning foundations.  This would also be a child who has had limited exposure to enrichment activities, such as music, art, nature, books, storytelling, verbal and oral development, etc. 

Transitional Kindergarten is a program that:

  • provides children the gift of time to learn skills that will help them build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.
  • teaches skills that were once only taught in First Grade, but are now taught in Kindergarten.
  • serves as a bridge between Preschool and Kindergarten giving children more time for hands-on, interactive learning.
  • gives children the opportunity to spend time learning important social, emotional and academic skills that will help them succeed in Kindergarten and beyond.
  • provides young learners with a high-quality early education at no cost to parents, to ensure that they have an opportunity to continue learning.
  • helps children adjust to the school environment and develop strong learning skills. 

Here is a chart that will help you know if your child is old enough to register for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten.

Additional Kindergarten Registration Information . . .

To attend school, your child must have a physical exam and current immunizations.  It's the law.

Immunizations - Before starting school

Physical Exam - Within 90 days after the start of first grade or as early as 6 months before kindergarten

To schedule a physical exam and immunizations:

  • call your family doctor to make an appointment
  • low cost immunizations are available from Public Health
  • free exams and immunizations are available for children who qualify by income or have Medi-Cal

For information and free CHDP exams, call the CHDP office at 530.527.6824 or 1.800.655.6854


Child Health & Disability Prevention Program, Public Health Division, Tehama County Health Agency

Kindergarten Registration Information

Q.  How old does my child need to be in order to be enrolled in kindergarten for the upcoming school year?

A.  Your child will need to turn five years old on, or before September 2nd.

Q.  When is kindergarten registration?

A.  Kindergarten registration is an on-going process.  Please register your child at the school in which boundary you reside as soon as possible.  This will help to ensure there is a spot for your child at that school as well as allow the District time to prepare the appropriate number of classrooms.

Q. What do I need to bring with me to enroll my child?

A.  You will need to bring:

  • Legal evidence of age, i.e. a birth certificate, passport, or Bible record
  • Immunization record
  • Proof of your address, i.e. a recent PG&E bill, phone bill, rent receipts or a bill that is in your name and that shows your current address
  • A current phone number and two emergency contact phone numbers

Q.  What immunizations does my child need before they can enter kindergarten?

A.  They must have the following immunizations BEFORE the FIRST day of school:

  • Polio - 4 doses (3 meet the requirement if last dose was given after the 4th birthday)
  • DPT - 5 doses (4 meet the requirement if last dose was given after the 4th birthday)
  • MMR - 2 doses
  • Hepatitis B - 3 doses
  • Varicella vaccine (chicken pox) - 2 dose or documentation BY A PHYSICIAN that the child has had the disease

Q.  What happens if my child turns five AFTER September 2nd?

A.  The Corning Union School District will be enrolling students with a birth date between September 3rd and December 2nd to a transitional kindergarten program for the  academic year.  Transitional kindergarten students may be combined with a regular kindergarten class when there are not enough students to fill a separate class.  Transitional kindergarten students will be offered a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate.  Transitional kindergarten students will then be eligible for kindergarten the following academic year.

Students who have a birth date on or before September 2nd are eligible to enroll in kindergarten.  Parents may opt to enroll their child in the transitional kindergarten if they feel it is a more developmentally appropriate placement.  Parents who choose to enroll their child in the transitional kindergarten program do so with the understanding that their child will complete kindergarten the following year.

If your student turns 5 after December 2nd, then your student will be eligible to enroll for kindergarten the following year.