Skip to main content

About Our District

Formed in 1888, Corning Union Elementary School District encompasses 170 square miles in Tehama County and borders Glenn County to the south.  The territory of the District is located in the southern part of Tehama County and includes the City of Corning and adjacent unincorporated areas. 

Population for the City of Corning is approximately 8,000. Corning Elementary is one of the top three major employers for the Corning area. 

Corning Union Elementary School District offers four Elementary Schools and one Middle School.  

Our Schools

Woodson Elementary School

The main campus was built in 2004 through a bond measure.  Woodson Elementary is a neighborhood K-8th grade school.  Approximate enrollment: 640

Maywood/DaVinci Middle School

The main campus was built in 1973. In the spring/summer of 2017 most portable classrooms were removed. and fifteen new classrooms were constructed.   Approximate enrollment: 456

Olive View Elementary School

The main campus was built in 1980 and is a TK-6th grade school with one State Pre-School classroom.  

Approximate enrollment: 575

Columbia Academy

Established in 1997, Columbia Academy is a K - 8th grade alternative community day school.  Approximate enrollment: 11

Rancho Tehama Elementary School

The main campus was built in 1994 and serves K - 5th grades in the rural setting of Rancho Tehama Reserve. Approximate enrollment:

West Street School

History

in 1988, Trustees Bonham, Hurlburt and Jewett proposed a new tax of $6,000.00 to build a new school building.  It was unanimously carried.  Two acres of land were purchased from George Hoag on the West side of West Street and the North side of South Street.  a two-story building of four rooms was erected by Ryana and Johnson of Red Bluff.

The building was finished in October, 1888, with two classrooms below and two above.  The lower rooms opened for school with Professor and Mrs. H Webb as teachers.  The number of pupils in attendance was 104 on January 1, 1889.

Later, a similar two-story unit was added and the two were connect with an entrance in the center. 

Mr. Otto Liersch says that when traveling minstrel players and other entertainers came through town, the upstairs rooms were used for their shows.  It was also in these upstairs rooms that the first high school was located while the building on Second and almond was being constructed (1902-1904).

The next West Street School was built in 1920 around three sides of the old one while it was still in use.  Upon completion of the new school, the old building was torn down.

By 1952 the number of children in attendance was 600.

(information provided by Phyllis Brown, 1982)