Kindergarten. Is Your Child Ready?

What Is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?


A Child is eligible to register for kindergarten if the child will have his or her fifth birthday on, or before September 1 (EC 48000[a]):

Beginning the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the cutoff date is September 1.

When can I enroll my child for transitional kindergarten?

A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate.  Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2.

Beginning with the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the date will remain the same, September 2 through December 2.

If you have a child who meets the age criteria for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten, please contact your home elementary school office for registration and enrollment information.

Who is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten at Corning Union Elementary?

Young five year old's who turn five September 2 - December 2 and/or fall into one of three categories listed below:

  1. A child who needs more support with social and emotional development.  This would be a child who has not had the opportunity/experiences to learn how to interact/socialize with his/her peers, and needs more support in social and emotional development.
  2. A child who needs more support with academic preparation.  This would be a child who has not had the opportunity to go to preschool, or a child who has gone to preschool, but with limited exposure or success with the preschool learning foundations.  This would also be a child who has had limited exposure to enrichment activities, such as: music, art, nature, books, storytelling, verbal & oral development, etc.
  3. A child who needs more support with language.  This would be a child who is an English Learner and needs more support with English Language Development and/or a child who can benefit from additional opportunities to develop his/her expressive and oral language.

Transitional Kindergarten is a program that:

  • provides children the gift of time to learn skills that will help them build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.
  • teaches skills that were once only taught in First Grade, but are now taught in Kindergarten.
  • serves as a bridge between Preschool and Kindergarten giving children more time for hands-on, interactive learning.
  • gives children the opportunity to spend time learning important social, emotional and academic skills that will help them succeed in Kindergarten and beyond.
  • provides young learners with a high-quality early education at no cost to parents, to ensure that they have an opportunity to continue learning.
  • helps children adjust to the school environment  and develop strong learning skills.
  • provides young five year old's with an opportunity to start their Kindergarten experience with children their own age, and with teachers that can tailor lesson plans to their needs.

 Here is a chart that will help you know if your child is old enough to register for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten.

Kindergarten Registration Information

Q. How old does my child need to be in order to be enrolled in kindergarten this fall for the 2018-2019 school year?

A. Your child will need to be turning five years old on, or before September 1, 2018   

Q. When is kindergarten registration taking place?

A. Kindergarten registration is an ongoing process.  Please register your child at the school in which boundary you reside as soon as possible.  This will help to ensure there is a spot for your child at that school as well as allow the District time to prepare the appropriate number of classrooms.

Q. What do I need to bring with me to enroll my child?

  • Legal evidence of age, i.e. a birth certificate, passport, or Bible record
  • Immunization record
  • Proof of residency, i.e. a recent PG&E bill, phone bill, rent receipts or bill that is in your name and that shows your current address
  • You will also need to provide a current phone number and two emergency contact phone numbers

Q. What immunizations does my child need before they can enter kindergarten next year?

A. They must have the following immunizations BEFORE the FIRST day of school:

  • Polio- 4 doses (3 meet the requirement if last dose was given after the 4th birthday)
  • DPT- 5 doses (4 meet the requirement if last dose was given after the 4th birthday)
  • MMR- 2 doses
  • Hepatitis B- 3 doses
  • Varicella vaccine (chicken pox)- 1 dose or documentation BY A PHYSICIAN that the child has had the disease

Q. What happens if my child turns five AFTER September 1, 2018?

A. The Corning Union School District will be enrolling students with a birth date between September 2nd and December 2nd to a transitional kindergarten program for the 2017-2018 academic year.  Transitional kindergarten students may be combined with a regular kindergarten class when there are not enough students to fill a separate class.  Transitional kindergarten students will be offered a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate.  Transitional kindergarten students will then be eligible for kindergarten the following academic year.

Students who have a birth date on or before September 1st are eligible to enroll in kindergarten.  Parents may opt to enroll their child in the transitional kindergarten if they feel it is a more developmentally appropriate placement.  Parents who choose to enroll their child in the kindergarten transitional program do so with the understanding that their child will complete kindergarten the following year.