What Is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO KINDERGARTEN!
A Child is eligible to register for kindergarten if the child will have his or her fifth birthday on, or before September 1 (EC 48000[a]):
Beginning the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the cutoff date is September 1.
When can I enroll my child for transitional kindergarten?
A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2.
Beginning with the 2015-16 school year and each school year thereafter, the date will remain the same, September 2 through December 2.
If you have a child who meets the age criteria for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten, please contact your home elementary school office for registration and enrollment information.
Who is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten at Corning Union Elementary?
Young five year old's who turn five September 2 - December 2 and/or fall into one of three categories listed below:
- A child who needs more support with social and emotional development. This would be a child who has not had the opportunity/experiences to learn how to interact/socialize with his/her peers, and needs more support in social and emotional development.
- A child who needs more support with academic preparation. This would be a child who has not had the opportunity to go to preschool, or a child who has gone to preschool, but with limited exposure or success with the preschool learning foundations. This would also be a child who has had limited exposure to enrichment activities, such as: music, art, nature, books, storytelling, verbal & oral development, etc.
- A child who needs more support with language. This would be a child who is an English Learner and needs more support with English Language Development and/or a child who can benefit from additional opportunities to develop his/her expressive and oral language.
Transitional Kindergarten is a program that:
- provides children the gift of time to learn skills that will help them build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.
- teaches skills that were once only taught in First Grade, but are now taught in Kindergarten.
- serves as a bridge between Preschool and Kindergarten giving children more time for hands-on, interactive learning.
- gives children the opportunity to spend time learning important social, emotional and academic skills that will help them succeed in Kindergarten and beyond.
- provides young learners with a high-quality early education at no cost to parents, to ensure that they have an opportunity to continue learning.
- helps children adjust to the school environment and develop strong learning skills.
- provides young five year old's with an opportunity to start their Kindergarten experience with children their own age, and with teachers that can tailor lesson plans to their needs.
Here is a chart that will help you know if your child is old enough to register for Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten.