An absence will be recorded as excused for the following reasons:
- Illness of student
- Medical/dental appointments. Parents are encouraged to schedule appointments after school hours.
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- Funeral of immediate family (parent, grandparent, sibling) limited to 1 day in state, 3 days out of state
- Legal matters*
- Religious holidays or ceremony, not more than 4 hours per semester*
- Funeral ceremony other than immediate family*
- Unforeseen emergencies (i.e. natural disasters) will be handled on a case-by-case basis
*Must be requested in writing by parent/guardian prior to absence and approved by district-designated official.
A students absence will be recorded as unexcused for the following reasons:
- Any absence other than those listed above as excused absence
Independent Study Contract
If student will be absent from school a minimum of 5 days an Independent Study Contract may be signed. Such absences are considered unexcused unless the Independent Study Contract is returned completed. Parents are encouraged to take family vacations during school breaks.
Excused - Students accumulating more than 10 excused absences are considered excessive and may be referred to SARB for truancy proceedings. (ED Code 48260.5)
Unexcused - Unexcused absences beyond 3 school days per school year are considered excessive and may be referred to SARB for truancy proceedings. (ED Code 48260.5)